Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Reading the Bible

I admit that reading and spending time in the Bible is not something I am good about doing regularly. It's hard because I tend to get bored reading through something I'm very familiar with (or that I can't get into - particularly the books written in poetry. I'm NOT a poetry peson) and my mind drifts and then I realize I've been "reading" and haven't taken in a single thing. I recently started a new Bible reading "system" that someone shared on Facebook - The Prof. Horner Bible-Reading System (this is how it's listed on Facebook if you want to look it up). The way this works is that he has separated the Bible into 10 lists:

-The Pentateuch (Genesis through Deuteronomy)
-OT History (Joshua through Esther)
-Psalms
-Proverbs
-Wisdom books (Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs)
-Major and minor prophets (Isaiah through Malachi)
-The Gospels
-Acts
-Major Epistles (Romans, 1-2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, -Colossians, Hebrews)
-Other NT (1-2 Thessalonians, 1-2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, James, 1-2 Peter, 1-2-3 -John, Jude, Revelation)

You read one chapter from each list each day, so you're reading 10 chapters per day. Each list is a different length so you finish them up at different times - when you get to the end of the list you start back at the beginning. Acts and Proverbs you read through every month. I won't say that I'm now perfect about reading every day but it is much easier for me to get into and focus since I'm switching up books and authors every few minutes. And I also like, as someone else posted, that "the 10 different readings bring out a lot of overall Bible themes as I jump through different time periods of God’s unfolding redemptive plan." And I love that as I finish a list I start over and I'm reading it along with DIFFERENT passages. It puts things into another perspective when you read them in relation to different things. Does that make sense?

Just a note: I was reading in Joshua last night right before the battle of Jericho when the angel comes and Joshua asks him, "Are you for us or against us?" I totally couldn't read it without picturing Larry the Cucumber and Archibald Asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment