Monday, May 2, 2011

I have seen two verses posted on Facebook in the last 12 hours, with regards to the death of Osama bin Laden. I can't say I'm sad that he's dead, just as I know that in 1945 (almost to the day, btw - it was April 30th) I would have felt absolutely no sadness to hear of Hitler's death. However, I am sad that it's another soul that will spend eternity separated from a holy God because Osama chose to spend his life the same way. I do think about the fact that my sin, while smaller on a worldly scale, is the same to God as the sin of Osama. I am saved from the horror of an eternity in hell only by the grace of God. Here are the two verses I've seen posted, the first more often than the second:
"When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy." Proverbs 11:10
"Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live." Ezekiel 33:11

Anyone notice that in the Proverbs verse you see the reaction of PEOPLE, not God? God is not joyful over the death of Osama. I believe he grieves over any life that ends with another soul in hell. Even those who are decidedly evil (by our wordly view - by His, we are all evil until we fall on His mercy, are we not?). I believe He grieved when Hitler died just as much as He grieved for all of the people that Hitler murdered. I believe He's grieving that Osama is in hell with Satan today, with no further chance for redemption.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts on those verses. I am so glad I popped over to read today! I hope you have had a magnificent Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete