Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Double the joy, double the work!

Our sweet girls are almost three weeks old already.  I can't believe it!  What's even crazier is that we haven't even passed their official "due date" yet - tomorrow would have been 39 weeks.

Sadie and Rylan at 2 weeks old
We had their 2 week check-up at the doctor yesterday.  They are doing great and already growing so fast!  Stats - Rylan was 6lb, 6oz and 19.5 in; Sadie was 6lb, 5.5oz and 20 in.  The doctor says they both look perfect.  They will both have hip ultrasounds done at 6 weeks just as a precaution to check for hip dysplasia.  The pediatrician at the hospital said they recommend it for all breech females and our doctor agreed although she said their hips seem to be fine.

Life at home with twins is...interesting, to say the least.  I was really naive, honestly, about how hard twins would be.  I figured I've done the newborn thing x3, how hard could two at a time be???  Ha!  The hardest times are the nights when they tag team us - one will sleep great for the first half of the night while her sister fusses and then they'll switch on us for the second half of the night.  So exhausting!  But then there are good nights like we had the past two nights when they both sleep wonderfully and just wake for a bottle or two.  It helps that we've discovered that Rylan sleeps better in her crib - I told Brian that I don't blame her since the crib mattress is much snugglier than the pack n play mattress.  Feeding them on my own can be hard, too, especially if they are both ready to eat at the same time.  Holding two bottles at the same time is fine but when I have to stop feeding both to burp one...the other one is not pleased.  Sometimes one stays asleep when the other wakes up (often Rylan wakes first and then we have to wake Sadie up to feed her after Rylan is done) and in those cases I feed the one that is awake and get her changed and re-swaddled and then I think, "Whew, done.  Now let's do it all over again..." as I go to wake up the other little miss.

Rylan Grace

Sadie Jane
Sadie is our generally more relaxed baby.  She's pretty go-with-the-flow like Caedon was and is usually content to lay in her bouncer or pack n play and look around.  

Rylan is more snuggly (probably why she prefers that crib...) and loves to be held.  She also has quite a temper and can get really mad really fast!
They are both great eaters (as evidenced by their more-than-a-pound weight gain...) and are eating 3 oz bottles at each feeding.  My day is full of bottles (washing them, making them, feeding them...) and diapers (x3!  Caedon is showing signs of being ready to potty-train but....who has time for that???  Aaaah!).  Plus all the other mommy stuff I was doing before two precious little girls entered our lives.  Homework, baths, playing games, reading books, singing songs.  I feel like I'm constantly running from one thing to the next!  (I have been working on this blog post for 2 hours off and on....and it's not very long)

The kids are so sweet with the twins.  The oldest two are great about helping when we need something.  Caedon LOVES his baby sisters and is always patting them and trying to give them high-fives.  He loves to hold them and kiss them and every time one of them sneezes he says "Bless you!"  Earlier Rylan was crying in her bouncer and he said, "Oh!  Oh, no cwying!" and ran over to try to soothe her.  It was the sweetest thing.

I am so thankful for those who have brought us meals and/or come by to help out with either the babies or the big kids (one day my parents came and picked up all three big kids and took them to their house for the whole afternoon.  That was lovely!).  We are blessed to have wonderful family and friends.  And I am so blessed to have a husband who is so great about helping out and letting me get as much sleep as possible!  I just love that guy :)

Me and my love while we were still in the hospital.  We look exhausted.  We were (and are!).

Mother's Day family picture!  I just love my not-so-little-anymore family!

Oh, these kids.  I adore each and every one of them.

Is this not the sweetest thing you've ever seen?  Precious precious little people.

No comments:

Post a Comment