Monday, July 13, 2009

Pacifiers

Melissa has always been a good sleeper. She's also always loved her pacifier. We decided yesterday it was time to do away with the paci and Melissa is NOT happy about it.

With Kyler we just cut the tips off of all his pacifiers and when he went to bed that night they were "broken." He was fine with it. He went to sleep and never asked about his paci again. But that is also around the time that he started fighting naps.

We decided that we would try the same approach with Melissa that we tried with Kyler. I cut off the tips of her pacifiers last night before bed. When she first realized it was broken she started crying! Her heartbroken little face was so sad. I told her she was a big girl and that she could sleep without her paci now. She wasn't happy but when I left the room she did go right to sleep.

This afternoon when I put her down for her nap (at 12:30) she asked for her paci again. I told her that it was broken and she's a big girl now so she doesn't need to sleep with a paci. She cried and told me that I could get a new paci at Wal-Mart. Yeah, did I mention that Kyler was younger when we got rid of his paci? She's older and much more observant. Anyway, that was 3 hours ago. She's still in her bed. She still hasn't gone to sleep. I CANNOT handle two kids who refuse to nap. I will stay strong for a few more days but if she's not going to nap without her paci I will without a doubt give in and go buy a new one. She still needs her naps and I NEED naptime!

2 comments:

  1. Aw! I feel bad for you and Melissa! Abbie never liked the paci & Eli gladly swapped it for his thumb @ 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should get some Milano cookies to soothe yourself while Melissa fights her nap! - And I hope she gets with the program and naps - because I don't even have kids, but I LOVE naptime!

    ReplyDelete