Thursday, April 16, 2015

Melissa at 8 years old

8 years ago tonight I was spending time with my two best friends and they painted my toenails for me - cause I was humongous! - in preparation for Melissa coming soon (they figured my pretty toes would make a great focal point during labor!).  Little did we know that she would be in my arms less than 24 hours later!  I was already having contractions that night, more frequently than before, but not much more intense than the braxton hicks I'd already been having so I didn't think much of it.

Amanda, me and Chara

Toes!
The next day was one of the best of my life, truly.  I woke around 5 am having serious contractions and called my midwife later that morning.  She came over late morning and at 1:09 Melissa was born in my bathtub at home.  So peaceful to get into bed, my very own bed, all calm and quiet with my newborn baby girl and to spend that whole first night snuggling with my baby and my husband, awakened only by her need to eat, no nurses coming in and out flipping on lights and checking vitals.  I adore my kids, I treasure the memories of each of their births but Melissa's will always and forever be my favorite birth experience.

Melissa Dawn
Now my baby girl is turning 8 years old.  She is tall and getting that gangly girl look, no more chubby rolls and waddling running.

- She's in second grade and always gets wonderful reports from her teacher.  She is so proud that she hasn't had a single color change during all of second grade so far!
- She reads SO well.  Brian has been reading the oldest two the Harry Potter series.  Every time he finishes one she checks a copy out from the school library and reads it all over again by herself.  She's probably read the first few at least 3 times already.
- She wants to learn to play the ukulele and can't wait for me to sign her up for basketball - musical athlete, maybe?  :)
- She is an amazing big sister - perhaps a bit bossy, though, too sometimes....
- She is the best of friends with her big brother.  

She is amazing.  I love this girl.  So so proud and blessed that she is my daughter.

My favorite of her 8 year pictures
Melissa's favorite :)

No comments:

Post a Comment