Saturday, October 4, 2014

Out and about with twins (plus 3 more!)

I've heard many moms with several children (whether they have multiples or not) say that they have a hard time getting out on their own with the kids - or that they are just scared to try.  I totally get that.  It can be particularly stressful when you think about all the "what if"s....dirty diapers, potty accidents, kids running off, tired and/or hungry crying babies.  No fun for mama!  But I decided even while pregnant with the twins that I just could not stay home all the time.  I am pretty independent and Brian works late hours AND Saturdays.  Even still, when I start thinking about going out, I often waver on my decision.  The time involved in getting everyone ready to go and in the car sometimes make me wonder if it's even worth it.  But you know what?  It usually is.  And it usually goes way better than I expect.

Many of our "activities" are just getting out and getting groceries.  This summer I took all five kids to the grocery store by myself.  It's an adventure!  I would have Melissa push the twins in their stroller and Kyler push Caedon in the cart.  We take up alot of room in the aisles but it was fine.  And I was thankful to have the two oldest with me to help!  Since they've gone back to school I've taken just the three littles several times.  When it's the four of us, I put Caedon in the basket and pull it while I push the stroller.  It actually works out really well, but I'm sure I look like a silly train, lol!

We also go out and do other things. Playgroups, lunches with friends, etc.  This morning one of my fellow MoMs posted in our group that there was a free open house at one of the local fire stations.  Lunch, face painting, bounce houses, fire trucks.  I knew the kids would have a blast and if we stayed home we'd end up watching TV all day so....we got ready and headed out, just me and my five little rascals.

I love that Kyler and Melissa are older and at an event like this one I can give them boundaries and they will stay within them and I don't have to watch them every second.  They would tell me when they were headed to a different bounce house so I knew where they were and then would come right back.

Caedon WANTS to be that big.  But he's three.  So no.  He is getting used to the fact that he has to stay with mommy or he will end up on his "yellow rope" (i.e. toddler leash).  He doesn't like it so he stays with me pretty well with only a couple of warnings here and there.  We also have a backpack one, I think I'm going to try it out at the fair when I take them on Monday b/c it doesn't go on his wrist and he might like it better.  I know some people are totally against using these things...but chances are good that they don't have several kids!  My thought has always been that we use leashes for dogs for a reason - to keep them safe and from running off.  How much more do I want to keep my child close by and safe in a crowded/busy area or street/parking lot???  And let's face it.  Toddlers are basically dogs that walk on two legs.

This is a picture of Caedon at the Labor Day Parade last month, wearing his leash.  He kept running out into
the street (before the parade started) so after a couple warnings, he had to wear his "rope"
Another problem I have is that my girls do NOT nap well out of their beds.  And many of our activities are during morning naptime.  They will fall asleep in the van but as soon as I get the carriers out to hook into the stroller, they're awake and won't go back to sleep until we get back in the van.  They're mostly good, though, even when tired.  Rylan got fussy for a bit so I got her out of the stroller and wore her in my Baby K'Tan.  I love that thing.  I really need to practice wearing both of them - I think I can put one in the Ergo on my back and wear the other in the Baby K'Tan, I just haven't tried it yet.  (Bonus:  they take an AWESOME afternoon nap after missing the morning one!)

Rylan in the Baby K'Tan, Sadie in the stroller
One thing I almost always hear when we're out is, "Wow, you've got your hands full!"  Truth.  I do.  But I love it!  This morning it was so nice because a lady volunteering at the event commented several times about my kids or the babies and then when I walked by later holding Rylan in the K'Tan she said, "You've really got this down!  You should give lessons."  I just smiled and she said, "Really, you could have a couple more!"  When I said I thought we were good with five she said, "I'm just so impressed, everyone is so calm."  It was really nice to hear positive words about my big family rather than comments about how many I have and asking if we're done (sometimes telling us we should be done...as if that's a stranger's business...).

Anyway, I guess this post is really just to encourage those who are anxious about getting out with their little ones.  It can be done.  It IS sometimes stressful but you know what?  The good outweighs the bad and you can have so much fun getting out and trying things!  And our days go by much faster when we're not just sitting at home, which is definitely a positive for me.

A few pictures of the big kids from our morning at the fire station:



No comments:

Post a Comment